Sunday, April 20, 2014

Training April 14-20 - aka: Yeah, that's my weight, don't wear it out

Training week 8 of 36.  (Week 2 of Iron Fit) Twenty-nine weeks until the race.

What this week's scheduled training looked like  (April 14-20):





Total hours scheduled: 7:00

Total hours logged: 7:00

Total running miles this week/total: 14.62 / 107.51

Total biking miles this week/total: 43.5 / 291.68

Total swimming yards this week/total:  5000 / 45,000

In a tri-suit; not skinny but not fat
Weight: X-2 or,  weight for it, (see what I did there?)... 148 pounds. There it is: my actual weight out there for everyone to see rather than the infamous "X" I've been using for the past eight weeks. (In case math isn't your strong suit, I weighed 150 pounds when I started training.) I'm 5'9, so 148 pounds is not terrible, although still 20 pounds heavier than when I got married 17 years ago.

Just want to clarify (since last week I got a lot of comments on FB about not using training as a method of weight loss): I am not trying to use my IM training to lose weight. I have no actual weight goals when it comes to IM. Although if I'm gaining weight while exercising 10-20 hours week, I seriously have to be doing something wrong.

What I would like to do is make these seven months of training as easy as possible on myself. If I could shed 5-10 pounds, OR just get myself more lean with muscle rather than fat, I would be closer to an idea racing weight. That is optimally where I'd like to be. Of course, if I dropped 30 lbs doing that, I'm certainly not going to cry. But if I drop zero pounds, I'm not going to cry either.

But no more "X". I weigh what I weigh. Moving on...

Level of IM enthusiasm: 7/10. Just another week. Kids were on spring break, so everything was more difficult to fit in, but I did it.

Nutrition elements: Ordered more UCan. Got lemonade-crap and blue-razz-crap flavors and some of the protein. We'll see. I don't know that I can do every long workout always feeling like my tank is mostly empty. But maybe it's just a mental thing and my brain will switch over and it'll be okay.

But Lordy that stuff is god-awful tasting. Completely chilled helps a little, but not much.

Other: Starting a five-week swim technique class this week with a local Tri coach. I took one back in November and it helped me tremendously. Unlike biking and running, I believe the only way to become truly faster at swimming is to improve your technique rather than power through.

Also have another Sprint Tri next Saturday. 400m pool swim (in a 50m pool, so that's a little different), 13 mile bike and 5k run.  Then nothing on the race calendar until July.

No comments:

Post a Comment