Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Post Where I Almost Had to Swim Naked

From Geek:
So today was week 4 of my 5-week swimming (stroke-improvement) clinic. I've really learned so much, it's pretty amazing.  I feel tremendously more prepared for my training swims and the eventual 2.4 mile IM swim because of taking these classes.

Today, though, was not my finest swim-class moment. My daughter missed the bus so I had to take her to school, which meant I had to get my swim stuff together and out of the house 20 minutes sooner than expected.

I know better, of course. GET YOUR STUFF READY THE NIGHT BEFORE when you have an early morning swim/run/workout planned. We all know that, but we never do it.

I was rushed. It was a triple-whammy. Having to take least-favorite daughter to school meant I was going to be late to the pool. But then I grabbed the wrong bag, so I ended up with NO swim cap and a pair of kids' goggles.

AND I grabbed what I thought was my black speedo swimsuit, but actually turned out to be my maternity bathing suit from 12 years ago.

So I arrive at the pool: in a bathing suit that resembled a hefty bag, no swim cap, and goggles meant for a small Asian child.

Late AND unprepared. One is bad enough. Both?...Sigh.  I was in tears before I left the changing room.

But, everybody pooled together (see what I did there?) to help me out. One swimmer gave me an extra
swim cap, another showed me how to get the goggles to the largest setting, and my swim coach offered me the bathing suit off her body (which I gratefully accept and we ran into the locker room and changed).

Ended up being a great class. So glad that I went, even though I was a little late and that I waddled out to the pool in all my ill-fitting stuff, prepared to just sit out and watch. Because everything worked out.

Not sure there's any moral to this story except maybe "don't have kids". But let's face it, that's moral for any story.

No comments:

Post a Comment